I'm sure there are a tons of ways of doing exponential back-off. If your
current implementation is Future-based, then this sounds like a job for
Future.recoverWith: try defining a Future-returning function that
recursively calls itself in Future.recoverWith.

And if you are using Akka Streams for streaming data from multiple HTTPs
calls as a Source, then I would recommend a slurry of Source.unfoldAsync
and Source.recoverWithRetries (or equivalent/related Akka Streams
functionality).

I imagine using Akka's supervisor strategy might work as well, but it feels
not very functional to me... Sounds like trying to employ side-effects
where good old functional composition describes the solution much better.

Brian Maso