Assume that the people are more sparse or not uniformly distributed,
so that you don't need to cover all of the area to cover all of the
people.

I would think about something like this:

For each pair of two people who are not already within 100 meters of a
dustbin, but are within 100 meters of each other, consider the two
locations for a dustbin exactly 100 meters from both of them. Count
the number of people within 100 meters of each of those locations who
are not already within 100 meters of a dustbin. Add a dustbin in the
one location which covers the largest number of new people. Repeat
until everyone is covered. That is not guaranteed to minimize the
number of bins, but it should be close.

Don