@ Dave sir
 the balance considered here is simple balance scale incapable of
giving any numeric reading and the we are unaware of any relationship
between x,y,a,b or any kind denominations prioirity in terms of
weights...
@navin..
"3 of them weigh x" means 3 of the coins individually weigh x gms,it
isnt the cumulative sum of the coins as u considered ,thats what i got
from the question..
Correct me if i'm wrong.
Could it  be done it done in lesser than 8 weighings??

Regards,
PAYAL GUPTA.