Hi!
List members know that my preference for good Hi-Fi is to have separate audio
components and I do appreciate that this situation doesn’t suit everyone as a
lot of people live in confined spaces without the room to set this sort of
stuff up.
So what if one could get a pair of slick bookshelf speakers with with the amp,
Internet Radio and facilities for music services built-in along with Bluetooth
and extra inputs to support say a TV and CD Player?
Kef offer such a system with the Egg and the LS-50 Wireless and so do yamaha
with the MX-N500 which I found on special this week for $549, usually $999.
Setting up the MX-N500 is easy though it does take some time and familiarising
yourself with the varied setup procedures from information provided in the
manual is a good idea.
When equipment offers the user varied ways to get it connected to the Internet
then that’s when you really have to sit up and take notice.
I chose to setup the Yamaha MX-N500 using the Musicast App which is available
for Android and IOS so I’ll get to that in a moment.
Before setup can take place however all the connections have to be made and
believe me there are quite a few.
Each speaker - the MX-N500 is a pair - has its own power supply so you need two
dedicated wall outlets.
Next you need to connect the connecting cables between the speakers and there
are two of those, 1 XLR male to female and what looks similar to an Ethernet
cable so you can see what I mean about sitting down to read the manual for a
bit. Once all connections are made then its time to switch on and launch the
Musicast App.
Setup is simple enough as you only have to follow the setup wizard in Musicast
to complete the procedure.
During this time the MX-N500 generates its own Wi-Fi network for you to connect
your smartphone to for connection to your main wi-fi network.
I was at this point disappointed to discover that the MX-N500 will only connect
to 2.4GHZ networks but I guess you can’t have everything and as I go on with my
description of this speaker system I think you’ll agree with me that this issue
is but a minor flaw that could possibly be fixed in a future firmware update.
So once connected and setup you have full control of the MX-N500 system through
the Musicast App which allows you to stream various music sources including
Spotify, Apple Music, local music from your phone, from your Network, Internet
Radio and so on.
You can also setup the MX-N500 directly from your network if you’re not
interested in the Musicast App though this method may make selecting Internet
music sources a little difficult and yes the MX-N500 does have a HTML web
interface.
One of the great features about this speaker system - along with great clear
and spacious sound - is the preset system which can be accessed via the
supplied remote control or via the Musicast App.
There are 6 presets in all which hold all sorts of sources whether that source
be a single radio station, a favourite track or a playlist and setting the
presets from the Remote Control is dead easy as it should be, hold down the
appropriate preset for 3 seconds and that’s it, from that point press that
preset to have its contents start playing, a nice touch.
AirPlay and DLan connectivity are available but then again what else would you
expect from such an incredible system.
If you’re planning to use the MX-N500 near a computer then you can take
advantage of the USB port which allows your Mac or PC to recognise the MX-N500
speaker system as a sound device.
And finally I assure you that those who like their collection of HD Audio files
are certainly catered for here with the DAC capable of supporting 384K at
32-bits.
The speakers are of a 2 way design with a 3CM tweeter and 7CM woofer in a
dampened cabinet.
There’s much more to this speaker system and it would be impractical to write
up everything about it here.
The MX-N500 is just one of the range of Yamaha Musicast speakers and
components, I plan to get my hands on one of Yamaha’s portable Musicast speaker
offerings in the future to see how that fairs.

Those of a positive and enquiring frame of mind will leave the rest of the
halfwits in this world behind.

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#490): https://groups.io/g/all-audio/message/490
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/all-audio/topic/16908019