Ah but then usability is another thing. How well can 1 deal with the device not speaking? I find that I get lost pretty quick. Mind you I have used a DM 520 without speach but it did make the on and off music I think and it did beap. For recording going in and out of folders I did okayish since ya know it's Olympus. It's a DM. Not much science there. But something with no sound at all? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wander how I'd do. Granted I'm probabaly just spoiled by blind devices.