Most interesting and thanks for posting.
I’m underway with an audio project right now and rather than do it as I
normally would do with the Mac I’ve chosen to use Sound Forge Pro 12 with the
Windows Desktop PC.
Now I have to admit that the Desktop machine - which I nicknamed “Beast” - is
an absolute powerhouse using an Intel I7 running at 3.6GHZ with 32GB of RAM,
similar specs to the iMac machine I usually work on though.
So Sound Forge behaved flawlessly - that’s something I’ve not experienced with
Sound Forge for quite some time on the Windows platform but again that’s
probably a little unfair to say given I only started playing about with Sound
Forge 11 and under Windows 10 I found it to be an absolute dogs breakfast -.
Anyway the very nice thing for me was that Sound Forge was as quick on my
Windows PC as I find it on my Mac though it would have been quicker for me to
perform the editing tasks on the Mac but that’s a personal thing.
In short the $249 price for the upgrade to Sound Forge Pro 12 for Windows was
worth every cent and I’ve not even scratched the surface yet.
And finally I still have heaps of time for those other great products like
Sound Studio, Goldwave, Total Recorder etc which all have a place here for
their outstanding attributes and there are heaps of good audio Apps for the Mac
too so I’m very glad for freedom of choice.

> On 2 Jun 2018, at 9:19 pm, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacob...@visi.com> wrote:
>
> Dane,
>
> I upgraded to Sound Forge 12 for Windows a little over a month ago or so,
> fairly close to what I thought was going to be the end of the promotional
> period here in the United States.  I have used Sound Forge for so long with
> all of its accessibility issues that I hesitate to change to anything else.
> I also have a problem with the install process but don't remember exactly
> what that trouble was, but I did manage to complete the process with JAWS.
>
> I don't have a real benchmark for comparing because I installed Sound Forge
> 12 on a new computer that is much faster.  However, subjectively, it seems
> to me to be more stable when I work with audio files.  One fear I always
> have is that accessibility will get worse.  Originally, I was a CoolEdit
> user which became Adobe Audition.  Audition 1 and 1.5 were almost the same
> as Cool Edit and accessibility was good, but in Audition 2.0 the method of
> displaying changed and much of the accessibility was lost.  As I understand
> it, Audition is fairly accessible again with scripting because some
> information is exposed through MSAA and UIA, but back to Sound Forge.  What
> I have found so far is that the basic screen, menus, and the dialogs I have
> used in the past seem to be as accessible as they were before.  There are a
> number of new processes that I believe are 64-bit that do not seem to be
> particularly accessible.  However, I have not explored the new functions
> with the JAWS Touch Cursor.  I have found that some newer interfaces reveal
> more using the Touch Cursor than they do using traditional approaches.
> Still, I am happy so far that Sound Forge 12 seems to do what I've always
> done with it in a manner that is more stable.  There are some statements
> that indicate latency has been reduced so recording with Sound Forge might
> be more reliable.  I have not experimented much with that, though, and there
> are so many variables that can contribute that I don't know how much I would
> count on that.
>
> I will be very curious to hear about your experiences and those of others as
> well.  Also, my use has not been real intense yet, so I may uncover things I
> don't like, but my first reaction is that accessibility is no worse,
> although I don't know that I see that it is better.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steve Jacobson

Those of a positive and enquiring frame of mind will leave the rest of the
halfwits in this world behind.

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#828): https://groups.io/g/all-audio/message/828
View All Messages In Topic (3): https://groups.io/g/all-audio/topic/20815327