I recommend you continue saving until you get to $300, then buy yourself a set of Ambeo binaural earbud microphones. They're the best for the money, you can use any application that can record using other devices besides just the iPhone's microphone, and they make fantastic recordings. The Hooke Audio binaurals are cheaper, but they're Bluetooth, and their implementation of high-end audio over Bluetooth is frankly terrible, with lots of dropouts and disconnects. You'll be instantly disappointed in them.

This will annoy you, but I figure if it happens once, it can happen again. Recently, the Ambeos were offered for one hundred pounds in the UK. Some folks I know who didn't own them yet took advantage of this by contacting UK friends, sending them the equivalent of one hundred pounds (about $140) plus a few more dollar for shipping, and their friend took care of getting them a set. So, just remember, what goes around, comes around. If it happens again, you'll probably hear about it and will take advantage of it. In the meantime, keep up the good saving work and you'll have a set soon enough.