It is back interference from the modern switching power supplies. We used to use Transformers to render different voltages for the radio/television etc., but since the early 90s, we use fancy transistors to chop up the line voltage into little time segments to get lower voltage. The noise we get is from those transistors which generate incredible peaks, valleys, and harmonics. Some of the signal comes back down the plug and wire and some of it is radiated. So it's always a challenge to damp it out. There a good thing, however, or wall warts and laptop power cables would have to be a lot bigger and heavier.

There are things called line chokes which are comprised of a ferrous metal hoop through which you can wind a line cord and it will help to dampen down interference coming back up the power cable. They're not very expensive.

Geoff

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Jacobson
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2020 1:04 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] Maybe for this group or if not...where

Tom,

Agreed completely. I had a sudden increase perhaps a month ago in the interference I am getting on the AM band from my DSL service. The phone company must have changed something either with the phone lines outside or with the DSL settings. While I know there is always DSl interference along the wires carrying the DSL signal, it is also getting radiated from the AC lines as well. I can't figure out how it is getting into those circuits.

I have a tuner with one of those little square loops and I made a larger loop on a piece of cardboard and added a length of cable so I could move it around more. That really helped me escape some interference until this new DSL problem started. I still like to look for long distance AM reception especially during the winter evenings, and this interference really decreases my ability to do that.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson