From: Jim Hatchett <j...@merlin-systems.com>
To: "Alpine-L, the Electronic Rock Garden Society; postings copyright by
authors." <alpine-l@science.uu.nl>
Sent: Tue, February 15, 2011 7:34:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Alpine-l] Sagebrush Buttercup

"-----Original Message-----
From: alpine-l-boun...@science.uu.nl [mailto:alpine-l-boun...@science.uu.nl]
On Behalf Of Jan & Dave Dobak
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:42 PM
To: 'Alpine-L, the Electronic Rock Garden Society; postings copyright by
authors.'

Ranunculus glaberrimus is a living definition of the term
"ephemeral".
Perhaps we could coin the term "ephemeralissimo".
The plants that are flowering now will, in a month, be gone
without any visible trace above ground.

It is probably difficult in cultivation.  Even
"difficultissimo".
I suspect that seeds must be sown the instant they are ripe.

Our favorite place to see it is along the Deschutes River
north
of Sherars Bridge (Oregon).  (See my article in Rock Garden
Quarterly, Spring 2002, v 60 n 2.)

Dave Dobak
Portland Oregon USA
"

Yes, ephemeral indeed. It is one of the first plants to flower in my area,
with some Lomatiums perhaps a little earlier. Here is what Ranunculus
glaberrimus looks like in cultivation.
Ranunculus glaberrimus

http://photos.imageevent.com/teita/spring06rockgardenplants/websize/Dsc00001
.jpg

Jim Hatchett
Eagle, Idaho zone 5, where the crocus are in bloom and Primula cusikiana
will not be far behind