Hi all, 



With respect to kelseya, I once got a seedling established in a big, ca 30 cm,  
chunk of pumice [not tufa!] which itself was sunk in a wooden pan of 
sand/scoria. The pumice was also planted with petrophytum and kept outside 
year-round, with occasional trips to be displayed.  The kelseya survived -- and 
grew a bit-- for 3-4 years, but finally succumbed when I let the rock dry out 
too much one hot  summer. 




I have a year-old vertical tufa garden with a special place reserved for 
kelseya, if I can acquire it again.  I tried direct seeding last winter with 
wild seed from Roger Bar low, but no issue.  The vertical tufa is north-facing, 
mortared between cinder-block piers, with a sand/scoria fill behind it for 
irrigation.  I hope to write up the wall and a new alpine house over this 
winter. 



loren russell 

corvallis oregon 


----- Original Message -----


From: "John and Pam Good" <[email protected]> 
To: [email protected] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:11:30 AM 
Subject: [Alpine-l] Re. Kelsey's cultivation 

Kelseya is usually grown in pots under cover (at least in the winter) in the UK 
and quite often appears on the show bench. I have grown it outside in a crevice 
garden in a trough with some success, but not up to show standard, and it 
eventually succumbed to our wet Welsh climate. 
John Good, N. Wales min 28F (-5) 

Sent from my iPhone 

On 19 Sep 2012, at 11:00, [email protected] wrote: 
> 
>   1. Re Rock garden 
> 
> Shirley, 
> 
> Do you have /Kelseya uniflora/ on your list for the arboretum garden? 
> 
> Does anyone else out there have experience growing it? 
> 
> --Henry 
> 
> --- On Tue, 7/17/12, Shirley Friberg <[email protected]> wrote: 
> 
> From: Shirley Friberg <[email protected]> 
> Subject: Re: [Alpine-l] Rock Garden Designer 
> To: "Alpine-L, the Electronic Rock Garden Society; postings copyright by 
> authors." <[email protected]> 
> Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 4:24 PM 
> 
> Henry,?Have you seen any vertical gardens? ?They are fantastic. ? Especially 
> if you are wanting to grow difficult alpines.?? Zdenck Zvolanek made one at 
> Wisley, Kew and the Alpine Society Headquarters.? You are probably right in 
> thinking that the general public wouldn't be impressed or understand the 
> significance in that method of planting. ?I would love to have one at our 
> arboretum, but I don't think it should be the major rock garden as it limits 
> how a garden can be designed. ?We now have been officially zoned 5- got it 
> from the Hort Society.?Shirley FribergSt. Paul, MN.?Zone 

_______________________________________________ 
Alpine-l mailing list 
[email protected] 
http://mailman.science.uu.nl/mailman/listinfo/alpine-l 
_______________________________________________
Alpine-l mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.science.uu.nl/mailman/listinfo/alpine-l

Reply via email to