Well a few hundred dollars later and many hours of weeding and trying
to dig in gravel and boulders....I finally sat down and transcribed the list of
plants that went into the 'new alpine rock garden rip rap garden'... I didn't
realize how much I'd done until I reviewed this list...remember I'm in Maine
Zone 5 and this garden is in 2-4 feet of gravel fill...I'm pulling up rocks the
size of basket balls...I though my old yard down to the coast 10 miles away was
bad with the 6 feet of marine clay...but wow....you can't stick a shovel in the
ground anywhere on the property without hitting rocks and gravel....but I'm
really praying that this is going to be the ideal location for this garden..as
I couldn't stand looking at the pile of rocks holding up the bank with
absolutely nothing growing but weed grass and broadleaf's.
         Other than two orders to High Country Gardens...all the material was
found locally...but then you'll see that by the commonality of some of the
material...now to wait out the spring and see what survives.

ALPINE GARDEN

STARTING FROM LEFT AND MOVING TO RIGHT
        1.
        2. Liatris spicata 'FLORISTAN WHITE'
        3. Sedum 'BLUE SPRUCE'
        4. Centaurea macrocephala
        5. Artimesia ludoviciana 'VALERIE FINNIS'
        6. Allium cyaneum
        7. Chamaebatlaria millefolium
        8. Amsonia hubrichtii
        9. Sedum 'TRICOLOR'