Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 12:25:40 +0000
From: Swick_Kathleen <swick_kathl...@asdk12.org>
Subject: Re: [Alpine-l] Potentilla verna nana
To: "alpine-l@science.uu.nl" <alpine-l@science.uu.nl>

The Potentilla verna nana that grows in Anchorage is a very low dense mat,
not a big spreader in my rock garden, small attractive leaves and many
yellow flowers.  Sorry, not sure of its relationship to grandiflora and
never heard it mentioned among knowledgable plant friends.  Let the lumpers
and splitters fight it out whilst it thrives and blooms unaware of such
issues.

... are offering /Potentilla verna/.

When I look up that name on "The Plant List," it says it is a synonym for
/Potentilla grandiflora/.

One horticulturist suggests the one called /P. verna/ 'Nana' is /P.
neumanniana/. It is a spreading plant with small yellow flowers.

The other is called /P. verna/ 'Orange Flame.' This one is mound forming and
has larger flowers with an orange spot at he base of the petals. Is this one
really /P. grandiflora/?

--Henry Fieldseth