enclosed below what happens when using ALSA, mmap mode and poll(2) on my
trident card at 44100. the value of contiguous is the value returned
by snd_pcm_mmap_begin() having been passed a value of 2048 as the
"upper limit".  the period size is 2048 frames, the buffer size is 2 *
period size. the figures shown are for the capture stream; both
capture and playback are open at the same time and are both in active use.

needless to say, this is basically unworkable as is. any suggestions
as to why this happening? it happens much, much less frequently at
48kHz, and almost never on the Hammerfall. i tried it on the
(admittedly known to be broken) tropez+ and it crashed my machine :)

is this an application design problem, or an alsa low level driver
implementation problem (i.e. with the hw pointer routines?)

--p

contiguous = 1
contiguous = 2047
contiguous = 2048
contiguous = 1
contiguous = 2048
contiguous = 2047
contiguous = 1
ALSA I/O: xrun of 4099 frames, (92.948 msecs)
contiguous = 2048
contiguous = 1
contiguous = 2047
contiguous = 1
contiguous = 2048
contiguous = 2047
contiguous = 2048
contiguous = 2048
contiguous = 1
contiguous = 2048
contiguous = 2047
contiguous = 2048
contiguous = 2048
contiguous = 1
contiguous = 2048
contiguous = 2047
contiguous = 1
ALSA I/O: xrun of 4100 frames, (92.971 msecs)