I'm not a subscriber of this list, so CC me.

I managed to make the cs4236 alsa driver work with the CS4237B in the
Dell Inspiron 3000 (making it the FIRST driver in linux to fully
support it without any problems).  The required modification is pretty
minor, you just need to add a module option to the snd-card-cs4236
module that disables the version check code for the control port in
cs4236.c under the lowlevel drivers.  The specific part I'm referring
to is the code where it gets two variables (ver1 and ver2) and compares
them then if they don't match it fails and says the control port is not
valid.  If this check is disabled it allows the driver to load with the
cs4237b in the Dell Inspiron without any problems and the driver still
works flawlessly despite the mismatch.  Would someone please implement
this before the next release?  Thanks in advance.

--
Reeve the cat