On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Paul Davis wrote:

[xrun after mmap_begin]
> after restarting, the audio stream is not in sync - it contains minor
> crackles and clicks suggesting that the device driver doesn't really
> know where the hw pointer is. the effect varies with the period size,
> which reinforces my belief in what's gone wrong. this happens on both
> the hammerfall and the trident, though the effect sounds a little

I've noticed similar problems with CVS versions of ALSA and JACK. My
card is ens1371. The crackled audio doesn't occur every time, but
practically always after a subgraph timeouts. The sound is mostly ok
(stereo image is fine, rate is correct, also amplitude), but it's
badly garbled (for lack of a better adjective).

Hmm, it could be that committed periods overlap in hw mem, or are shorter
than longer than what hw excepts (-> gaps between committed periods).

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!