At Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:23:50 +0200 (CEST),
Tim Goetze wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> >well, draing samples at close corresponds to flushing the buffered
> >data to disk at fclose.  then it sounds normal, doesn't it?
>
> i'm still not convinced -- if the stream is running when you close it,
> you're right, obviously.
>
> but when it's not running, starting and stopping it usually produces a
> click that will ruin the audible effect of the few msec worth of sound
> 'drained' (that nobody cares about anyway since the stream is about to
> be closed).
>
> right?

this is a question of behavior.
i don't think it's absolutely "wrong" that the driver processes the
rest of samples at stop status if drain() is called.

but..  from my feeling, i agree with you.  it doesn't matter if the
samples are simply dropped at close() when its stream was already
stopped.  so i myself would like to change this behavior.
the fix must be quite easy.

however, we need a consensus about this.

any comments (or objections)?