At Sat, 29 Jun 2002 21:37:31 +0200,
Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >
> > At Tue, 25 Jun 2002 01:27:53 +0100,
> > James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone managed to get "alsa-conf" to compile ?
> > >
> > > I use the current CVS, but it will not compile.
> > > Is "alsa-conf" of any use any more ?
> >
> > no, it's not maintained atm.
> > it was designed for the old system.  since then, some things have been
> > changed.
> >
> > iirc the following problems have to be solved:
> >
> > - rewrite the parser for outputs of new modprobe/modinfo
> > - rewrite the code to use snd-xxx instead of snd-card-xxx
> > - the module syntax description was moved from the built-in module
> >   description to /lib/modules/XXX/modules.generic_string.
> >   the parser must look at the latter file.
> >

> since SuSE 8.0 autoconfigures ALSA in a breeze, perhaps they might be
> willing to share some of their yast2 magic ? ;) <hint />

if ycp language becomes standard over the world ;)
(yast2 configurator uses its own script language.)
i myself don't touch much with yast2 development but just helped
debugging...

btw, for configuration of a single card, the modified alsaconf script
might be helpful:

        ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/tiwai/misc/alsaconf

this is based on the old alsaconf shell script but enhanced with
pci/pnp detection.
it can detect even some of old isa chips without pnp (not always fully
functional, though).