Paul Davis wrote:

> >OK. I believe I now understand the tradeoffs. Also, it was not clear
> >to me that the Jack audio driver would solve my problems since most
> >of what Jack is about is allowing multiple audio clients (which I
> >don't have, and in fact don't want at all in this case).
>
> Thats not entirely true. At least 30-50% of JACK's design comes from
> the desire to have a simple, highly abstracted, highly efficient model
> for audio i/o. 95%+ of the time that i use JACK, its with one client
> (for now, anyway).

ok.
[Might be worth doing a re-visit to your intro to Jack...add a line
about
the above.]

> no, poll reports back to you when the amount of data/space equals or
> exceeds the "avail_min" count set by your program.

AHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!  Click ! :-)

It now works fine with polling once I set the avail_min to 1/8 the max
size of
the frame buffer.
Since it's working fine I'll leave it for now, but if we need to support
diff.
soundcards etc. in the future Jack may be worth a visit.

--
Cheers,
Bruce

    /\\\/\\\/\\\    /   /      Bruce Paterson
   /  \\\ \\\ \\\  /   /    Senior Design Engineer
  /   /\\\/\\\/\\\/   /   87 Peters Ave, Mulgrave, Vic, 3170
 /   /  \\\ \\\ \\\  /  PO Box 4112, Mulgrave, Vic, 3170, Australia
/   /    \\\/\\\ \\\/   Ph: +61 3 8561 4232   Fax: +61 3 9560 9055
      Tele-IP Ltd.      Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Icq: #32015991
                        WWW:   http://www.tele-ip.com       VK3TJN