On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:08:29 +0200 (CEST),
> Jaroslav wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > do you suppose that the second argument of ctl name is always ignored?
> > > the control interface has no device like pcm.
> > >
> > > but it's true that having a same naming rule makes the life easier...
> >
> > The 'default' is there for this purpose. Otherwise, application / user
> > must know the right device name.
>
> iirc, it's not easy to pass the card/device number to "default" pcm.
> at least, "default:CARD=1" doesn't work.  the easiest way to access a
> certain card is, so far, only to use "hw:x".
> this must be fixed.

I don't agree here. The default is very simple case when the application
programmer doesn't want to take care about the right syntax of the device
specification.

Anyway, programmers should know that CTL devices are one per card. If
there is some real need to correlate PCM handle with CTL handle, then we
might create a special function like:

int snd_pcm_get_ctl_name(snd_pcm_t *handle, char **ctl_name);

> also, i thought that ctl.hw is defined purely in
> /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, and tried to redefine this to accept more
> arguments.  but it doesn't change anything.  is ctl.hw hardcoded?

Extra things in configuration file are usually parsed as errors.

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project  http://www.alsa-project.org
SuSE Linux    http://www.suse.com