Sorry for the late response..

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Mark Ziegler wrote:

> thank you. You are right: my ide-dma is turned off. I only activated it in the
> SUSE setup, but I've never check if it is really switched on.
> Unfortunately I can not turn on the dma:
[...]
> linux:/home/woody # hdparm -m 8 -d 1 -u 1 -c 1 /dev/hda
> /dev/hda:
>  setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 1
>  setting multcount to 8
>  setting unmaskirq to 1 (on)
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>  multcount    =  8 (on)
>  IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)

This is bad. You should check the linux-kernel archives and other
relevant mailing lists... hopefully some newer kernel provides dma-support
for your ide-chipset. This is critical for low-latency audio.

> Anyway, I tried again ecasound:
> woody@linux:~> ecasound  -z:db -z:intbuf -i alsa,ice_spdif -o test.wav

Ok, this will give us quite a lot of info:

> (audioio-alsa3) warning! capture overrun - samples lost!  Break was at least
> 7.60 ms long.
> (audioio-alsa3) warning! capture overrun - samples lost!  Break was at least
> 215.45 ms long.
> (audioio-alsa3) warning! capture overrun - samples lost!  Break was at least
> 0.03 ms long.

This means that the xruns are caused by process scheduling latencies, not
by disk i/o scheduling. The longs xruns are probably caused by disk i/o
events that reserve the cpu for a long period of time (dma not used -> all
transfers go through the cpu -> trouble). I'd suggest trying low-latency /
pre-emption kernel patches, and/or finding a kernel with dma support for
your ide chipset.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!