To Clemens, Takashi and David Gerard Matthews

This solution works
mpu_port="0x330"

I can now see a MIDI port.

Also to Jaroslav or whoever maintains the ALSA soundcard matrix, I can
confirm that the SiS 645DX chipset works using the intel8x0 module for
audio, in, out and MIDI (recognising it's presence at least but not
completely  tested, but if it works for other intel8x0 cards or
motherboards, I can't see why not. My studio will be setup again this
weekend to test). The chip is also capable of surround output but I
don't have the extension board.

However, the documentation for this chipset should be altered to reflect
the above in options ... either mpu_port="0x330" or mpu_port="0x300"

thanks again ..

Allan Klinbail