--- Paul Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> there's a little detail you're forgetting. unless
> the hw supports multi-open and the current number of
> subunits is below the limit of the number of opens,
> then having the descriptor will cause all other
> attempts to access the device to block (unless they
> explicitly request non-blocking open, which means
> they then have to unset that flag for normal
> application operation

I hadn't forgotten. The situation to which you are
referring is called "a bug in the *application*".
Determining the destinies of resources, delivery of
signals etc when spawning child processes is the
application-programmer's responsibility.

And yes, I have tracked down bugs like this before.
And I *did* fix the application.

Chris