Solved !!!!!(almost)

I upgraded autoconf,automake and pkgconfig from source (versions
required for MusE) and was able to succesfully compile alsa-driver
alsa-lib and alsa-utils....

However one thing I have noticed , gmix does complains it can't open
/dev/mixer (yes I did give the option --with-oss=yes... no big deal
though as aumix and alsamixer do work.

So back to work tomorrow (after work) for using everything again.. as
it's 1am here I'm off to bed.

cheers

Allan