Takashi,
   I have two sound devices (on-board Via device and an RME HDSP 9652)
but I only want to configure the RME. Currently alsaconf finds the RME,
attempts to install the drivers, and then the drivers fail saying they
cannot find the cards. I had hoped that possibly the log file would give
me more information on why. I suppose it will not if it's only for ISA
devices. (BTW - alsaconf does find this Via chip and can configure it
correctly.)

   I think that the --help for alsaconf should make this more clear.
Currently it says:

 -L|--log       logging on /tmp/alsaconf.log

No idea it only covers ISA devcies.

OK, so I start with a clean /etc/modules.conf looking like this:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 bcm4400
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci

lspci -v shows:

<SNIP>
00:0e.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx, Inc. RME Hammerfall DSP
(rev 68)
        Memory at e9800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
<SNIP>

I then run alsaconf. It shows the hdsp and the via82xx. I choose the
hdsp and get the following:

Starting sound driver snd-hdsp
/lib/modules/2.4.20-1.12.ll.acpi/kernel/drivers/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o: Hint:
insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or
IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.20-1.12.ll.acpi/kernel/drivers/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.20-1.12.ll.acpi/kernel/drivers/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-1.12.ll.acpi/kernel/drivers/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o: insmod
snd-hdsp failed
                                                           [FAILED]
Setting default volumes..

 Now ALSA is ready to use.
 For adjustment of volumes, please use alsamixer or gamix.

 Have a lot of fun!                                         │
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]#

modules.conf now looks like:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 bcm4400
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0666
options snd-hdsp index=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit.

The card is not recognized on reboot either. dmesg shows a log string of
these messages:

Hammerfall memory allocator: buffers allocated for 1 cards
RME Hammerfall-DSP: no cards found
Hammerfall memory allocator: buffers allocated for 1 cards
RME Hammerfall-DSP: no cards found

Now, this all worked fine on the previous 2.4.19-1.ll kernel from the
PlanetCCRMA site **BEFORE** I updated firmware on the HDSP 9652 for new
Win XP driver support. After updating firmware for the card, the
alsaconf program I had for the 2.4.19-1.ll kernel no longer recognized
the card at all and cannot write anything in modules.conf.

I have a new PC in my studio, using a newer kernel from the Planet not
released widely yet. (2.4.20-1.12.ll.acpi) The kernel is dated Sunday,
Feb. 2nd. The alsa RPM is dated Feb. 18th and appears to be alsa
0.9.0-45, if that makes sense. I understand some of this might be
Fernando's numbering system for the Planet.

The alsaconf that comes with this kernel recognizes the card, but the
driver doesn't load and says there's no card.

Chicken & egg problem apparently...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Mark