> >Later that evening I powered down. Upon rebooting the next morning it
> >failed, and has failed ever since. That was last Thursday evening.
>
> the same thing happened to me a week ago. i have, as usual, not had
> time to investigate further.

Well, it is actually quite comforting to know that folks with far more
experience than I sometimes see the same strange behaviors!

> >This whole Alsa/HDSP thing is amazingly weird...
>
> at the moment, i regret that we made the move to user-space loading of
> the "firmware" when we did. i think now that it was a mistake to do it
> at that time. it has caused a fundamental change in the way the driver
> sets up, but it came at a time when we weren't confident that setup
> was working for various cases.

I'm sure that it will get worked out. I think Joshua is currently having
some good successes with the HDSP 9652, and I'm currently learning how to
modify a Gentoo ebuild to accomplish doing a patch. I also have (after more
pain than I wish to recount) Windows on this Gentoo box in a dual boot
config, and have the RME firmware tools to upgrade and downgrade, so I think
I'm almost set to be able to try this stuff out again.

I'm sure over the next few weeks and months this will get straightened out.
:-)

Mark