> Hi,
>
> If a user has a 5.1 sound card, but only has 2 speakers connected, it
> would be nice if the user could tell alsa this fact.

One of my SACD players has this feature built in. It's nice in that I can
listen to a 5.1 SACD through stereo headphones and hear all 6 of the
channels mixed in a more or less normal way.

I know this isn't exactly what you are proposing, but I think it's similar.
One of these days you are going to have an audio DVD in your PC, and maybe
be using a stereo sound card, and you'll run into the same issue.

Cheers,
Mark