Well, I finally got this beast working in time for my demo tomorrow.
Turns out that the AK4355 codec has not one, not two, but THREE reset
bits in its registers.  They ALL need to be 1 if you want the beast to
function.  In my persuit of all of this I added some code to the
'ice1724.c' to print out the codec registers.  While it works for the
two codecs on the Revolution 7.1 card, it might not work for others (or
if there are multiple codecs of the same type).  This printer (it goes
to the /proc interface works quite well.  The big change was to
'akm4xxx-adda.c' which I added the initialization bytes (in the array
for the AK4355).  They were needed because the code (I thought it would
work) just to merge them in at the end of the 'snd_akm4xxx_reset'
routine dodn't work.  For some reason that didn't work as well as I
thought.  Oh, well.

Bottom line:  I got it working!! (and it sounds pretty good!)

diffs enclosed (they will probably be in base64 because yahoo does it
that way, sorry!).

=====
--
Tom Watson