Is there a reliable way to find out if /dev/dsp is being handled by
ALSA?  I want to be able to detect this for diagnostics.  (If /dev/dsp
is ALSA, the native alsa-lib code should have been used, and something
has gone wrong.)  Currently, I'm checking for the existance of
/proc/asound/version, but at least one user had a configuration where
that file existed but /dev/dsp was really OSS.

(That's what it looked like, and what he claimed, at least; I havn't
tried to reproduce that configuration, with both ALSA and OSS loaded
and only OSS actually handling sound.  It's possible something else
was happening and the user was wrong.)

--
Glenn Maynard