On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The normal way I patch the 2.6.x kernel, is i download alsa-kernel from
> CVS. and then delete the ./alsa-kernel/oss dir, then just copy all the
> contents of alsa-kernel over the top of /usr/src/linux/sound
> I then copy the include directory to /usr/src/linux/include/sound, and
> it all works.
>
> I have noticed that au88x0 driver only got into the alsa-driver tree.
>
> Should I be doing something different in order to get au88x0 drivers
> into my local kernel 2.6.x tree.
>
> As the au88x0 drivers are not in the alsa-kernel tree, the kernel 2.6.x
> Kconfig file does not have a au88x0 entry, so it can not easily be moved
> into kernel 2.6.x.
>
> Can someone please point me to the correct merge/patch method, or am I
> in fact highlighting a bug!

It's not a bug. All alpha/beta drivers are in the alsa-driver directory.
This directory doesn't allow to be merged to 2.6 code in a simply way, but
you can compile these drivers as modules outside the kernel like for 2.4
(simply go to the alsa-driver directory and run cvscompile there).

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SuSE Labs