Thorsten Guenther wrote:
Hi all!

First i would like to thank you for your great work. Yesterday i watched DVD and really enjoied doing so with 5.1 sound on my nforce2 Linux system. :-)))
After some hassle with the right settings for the DVD player software, anything works great and there is only one feature i'm missing:

In the Windows sound driver there is an option to generate an LFE channel from ordinary stero sound (e.g. MP3 playback). I searched the net and this list for some time but did not find any hints for player- or driver-options to do this. Am i missing something? Are there plans to add such a feature? May i help in some way (i'm a developer, but the java / server side type of) develop such a feature?

Tahnk's in advance!

Bye,
Thorsten

Converting stereo sound (2.0) to stereo with separate LFE (2.1) is best left to the media player, because high/low pass filters are CPU intensive, and would add too much delay in the audio out path, but can be done at the decoder stage, which is a stage in the media player before audio/video sync is attempted.

I don't know which media player you use, so I cannot comment further.

xine could support this by implementing a new audio_post_processing_plugin.
mplayer might already have this feature, look in the audio filters section of their manual.

Cheers
James

Cheers James