On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:00:57 +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The ALSA implementation of v19 (development
branch) is well developed, and fairly stable from what I can see (being
one of the developers). There hasn't been a lot of feedback, but my own
testing hasn't turned up any bugs in a while.

I few clicks but nothing too horrible.
Clicks as in audio glitches? I experience no glitches in daily use (blocking API), unless I set the buffer size too low.

PortAudio also offers two
different interfaces to the programmer, both blocking and callback
interfaces are completed for the ALSA implementation. So you can choose
whichever suits your application the best.

patest_write_sine produces a noise but it isn't a sine wave (by ear there are some "sharp edges" in the waveform).

patest_sine_formats hangs apparently forever.
Sounds weird. Works perfectly with my setup. Can you tell me which one of the underlying host APIs (JACK/OSS/ALSA) is being used? I just tested the OSS implementation for the first time, and it behaves as you describe. I cannot help you with OSS or JACK I'm afraid, as I concentrate on the ALSA bit. I don't know what the current state of OSS and JACK support is, but I don't think they've been as regularly updated as the ALSA one. My recommendation, for now, would be to configure PortAudio to compile with only ALSA support. Then the ALSA host API should be used by default, and things should work better I think.

At the same time, should you
wish to write cross-platform programs, PortAudio supports different
platforms. I don't know the current state of all the implementations, but
Windows MME and ASIO should be well functional and SGI IRIX seems to be
coming along.

Hope this helps

If nothing else it serves as example code for oss/alsa/jack setup. Will not rule it out.

Appreciate the feedback

Arve Knudsen

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials. Become an expert in LINUX or just sharpen your skills. Sign up for IBM's Free Linux Tutorials. Learn everything from the bash shell to sys admin. Click now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id78&alloc_id371&op=click _______________________________________________ Alsa-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-devel