At Mon, 12 Jan 2004 07:54:37 -0500,
Paul Davis wrote:

> >Yes, we're aware that our APIs are rather too much complicated for simple
> >applications. We are designing the very simple (current name ordinary)
> >APIs to let more developers join us. But as Kai noticed, these APIs will
> >be a bit limited, so they won't be intended for more complex applications.
>
> Jaroslav, please don't spend much time on this. There are no
> indications that ALSA is going to be picked as a native API by
> freedesktop.org, nor any of the incarnations of various X
> organizations as a network-transparent API. Simple applications are
> just not going to use ALSA, they will be using some API approved by
> GNOME/KDE/freedesktop, which will sit happily on top of the more
> complex API that alsa-lib currently provides.
>
> There are much more important things that ALSA needs to fix, like the
> asoundrc syntax/handling/setup.

i agree also about the PCM.  there are many other PCM abstractions
like PortAudio.  of course, it'd be nice to have one in ALSA itself,
though.

but remember that the mixer is a different story.
there is no other abstraction.  the current mixer representation is
too copmlex and the abstraction itself is not complete.