Hi all,

some time ago I replaced my old, broken motherboard with an ASUS A7V8X-X (via 8235 chipset) one (because both motherboards seemed to have similar sound chipsets, and on the old (via82c686 chipset) motherboard I had no problems with my sound). Now I'm trying to load the snd-via82xx module under linux-2.6.1, but I'm getting the following message when running

# modprobe snd-via82xx

        ALSA sound/pci/via82xx.c:512: codec_valid: codec 0 is not valid [0x87e530]

The message is printed out at least 10 times, and sound is not working. I'm using standard stereo speakers with this motherboard (it also supports surround sound). I've searched this mailing list's archive, but I couldn't find any similar problems. I was wondering if this problem is already known, and if there are any workarounds/patches available.

Some other information:

# lspci
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

I'm running Debian sarge, with a customized kernel (v2.6.1) directly from kernel.org.

Thanks in advance,

David Hartveld
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>