Hi,

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 05:14, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > So that you and I and the rest of us will test both the kernel and
> > ALSA, and the kernel+ALSA, under various hardware conditions that
> > will never happen until either is declared "stable". Allow about 1/2
> > a year for both, and the combination of both, to truly stablize.
> > It may seem like a non-professional way to go about it but in the
> > larger scheme of things, where some of us have been waiting _years_
> > (let alone those who have been doing the actual work) for a single
> > truly open source audio environment, it's getting very close to being
> > the ultimate system "we" have been waiting for.

Just sitting around and waiting a given amount of time will not make any
software more stable. It could even be bad in the sense that people stop
using it due to the lack of new releases. Thats very frustrating.

> Before flames, I would like to notice that we have only limited amount of
> hardware for tests. The current hardware vendors are producing very large
> number of configurations, modifications etc. especially for cheap
> hardware. It's very difficult to support all variations, so please, be
> patient until a developer analyses the given problem and fix it.
>
> If you know the ethernet drivers (eepro100), you might noticed that in
> past, there were / are also some issues, because many transciever
> variations and configurations exists around. It's not about API, but it's
> about particular driver.
>
> Also, we do not have any links with most of hardware vendors, so we very
> depend on free information about their hardware.

Personally i have felt this "many variation hardware" by myself. I'm
still unable to reproduce some problems that someone reported to me with
a soundcard which i dont own, even if i bought upto 3 different cards by
my self, and all 3 of them work flawless. But then again i can only test
them on my computer and the PC of my brother.
To do more testing, we need to widespread it. I don't see another way.

I agree 100% with Jaroslav.

Best Regards

Manuel Jander