On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:34:25PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> My first question goes whether us428control's not recognizing any USx2y
> hardware dependant stuff (hwdep) either on hw:0 or hw:1. I'm almost sure
> that it should be on hw:1 as the US-224 is configured as my second
> soundcard under the ALSA configuration (i.e. alias snd-usb-usx2y
> snd-card-1). But us428control does not find anything, at least after the
> firmware gets loaded.

I remember a hint by Karsten:

try to get us428control running first. if us224 is very similar to 428,
you'll get a printout of lots of control numbers if you use the controls and
have started us428control with option -v2.

> Strange enough, to me at least, us428control seems to work between the fw
> and fpga loading steps. Using lsusb, I've noticed that the USB ids do
> change from 1604:8004 to 1604:8005 while plugging in. Guess that's normal,
> and it marks the momemt when fw is loaded and fpga is about to.

It's normal. If the fw step is ok, a reset of the device will be executed.
Then it says hello with another new ID 8005.

> The second one is about the LEDs on the control surface: besides the USB
> light, isn't that supposed to light up anything else? Everything else is
> dead dark. Touching the knobs, pushing the buttons or whatever doesn't
> make any visible difference. Is that supposed to be normal?

No control without us428control.

> OK. I've tested on two different systems, a Compaq laptop w/Mandrake 10.0
> (P4 2.533GHz, OHCI) and on a custom desktop w/SUSE 9.0 (P4 3.333GHz
> SMP/HT, UHCI). On both, the firmware seems to get loaded and only visible
> thing to note is that the USB light gets lit.

BTW: The OHCI bug (pointed out by Clemens) is still in the code.

> Mar 28 23:33:39 gamma-suse1 kernel: usb 2-1: control timeout on ep0in

Looks like disconnecting the former ID hangs somehow. Or do I misunderstand
this message here.

bye,
martin

--
Living on earth may be expensive,
        but it includes an annual free trip around the sun.