Ok, here's my stupid question of the day:

Is there any way for a program to query the alsa-lib to determine the version number? Ie... Assuming I'm using the relase of alsa-lib-1.0.4, I'd like to query and get back something that would indicate that I'm using that release (and I don't even care so much if my program is what queries it, I just need some way to figure what version the libasound.so.2.0.0 file is).

Basically here's the senerio I've got:
We've been developing a box for quite a while using alsa, and we've gone through
regular upgrades of alsa on each release.   Unfortunately I'm trying to track down a
rather serious problem in my client program, but I'm getting stymied due to what I
suspect is a library version mismatch.  I got my program hacked up and working ok to a
point and then it segfaults.  I replace libasound with a known 1.0.4 and it fails
earlier in a different way (perhaps due to one of my hacks to get it working on
whatever lib version I had in there).  I'm just trying to figure out why...  and
knowing the library version # might get me there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
- Steve