I'm installing ALSA for the first time--my intent is to write a PortAudio
implementation for ALSA (www.portaudio.com). However I came across
several problems.

1. Compiling alsa-driver, two .c files failed to compile, complaining
   that SOUND_MAJOR was undeclared: the files were hwdep.c and rawmidi.c.
   I added a #define SOUND_MAJOR 14 to each of these files and they
   compiled successfully. Where is this definition supposed to come from?

2. After compiling and installing alsa-driver and alsa-lib, I cannot get
   the sound card to play correctly. I can successfully run the mixer and I
   see the 20,000 settings everyone has noted the SBLive to have, and I can
   adjust them (I made sure to turn them all up).

   If I run an OSS app (with snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss loaded), I get
   garbage, but in the right ear only. If I run an ALSA aware app (I tried
   aplay and alsaplayer), I get the error "SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_PVERSION
   failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device"

Any ideas? I'm running Debian sid, ALSA 0.9.0beta9, kernel 2.5.1. Please
cc me on replies.

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>