On 31-Oct-02, Robert Spier wrote:

> We have (many) (identical) machines with i810 sound chips on them, and
> they work fine under OSS, but under ALSA no sound is emitted.
>
> I've tried making sure all the appropriate (and inappropriate) volume
> levels are up (via both the old oss mixer interface and using
> alsamixer) as well as loading the OSS module first for initialization
> purposes and then unloading it.

Standard checks:

Have you unmuted (using the "m" key in alsamixer) all the applicable
mixer channels?

Are there any error messages in the dmesg output, or in
/var/log/messages (and friends)?

Are you using devfs?  (Might be relevant if it's not one of the more
obvious things)

Are you trying to play sound from an OSS or ALSA app?  If the former,
did you build alsa with --with-oss=yes, and have you loaded the
snd-pcm-oss module?

Failing those, it might help to do an "alsactl store" (to save your
mixer settings in /etc/asound.state) and then to post the resulting file
(or, if it's big, a link to it) to the list.

Hope this helps...
--
Adam Jones ([EMAIL PROTECTED])(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
.oO("*This is the Famous R-O Shack TV D-e-s-c-r-a-m-b-l-e-r"           )