> How do I verify that I have the CS4232 driver then
> and,
> Can I simply replace the cs46xx with cs4232 in the
> modules.conf.

Both of these are OSS drivers, which is fine if you
know that is what you want.

If you go with ALSA, for the cs46xx (this is the
modules for a number of Cirrus Logic cards) use
"snd-cs46xx", and for the cs4232.  If it turns out
that is what you have, use "snd-cs4232".  The fastest
way to find out which one will work is just to
modprobe them one at a time and wait until one of them
takes. In your case, none of them seem to work, which
might point to another issue such as a hardware
conflict (do you have pnp OS disabled in your bios?
quickboot?).

> >I get an error when manually loading the driver via
> >root]# modprobe snd-cs46xx
> >/lib/modules/2.4.19.../.../cs46xx/snd-cs46xx.o.gz:
> init_module: No such device
> >Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect
> module parameters,
> >including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

This is a very generic error and could mean a lot of
things: this is not the right driver for your card,
you have a harware conflict (some laptops require ACPI
stuff).

I would bet the former is right.  Try another module
(snd-cs4232, snd-cs4236...see the ALSA soundcard
matrix for other possibilities).  It looks like people
have had luck with snd-cs4236, though others say it is
a cs461x chip, which might point to snd-4610.  Am I
even being helpful any more?

> >Much has been written on getting sound to work on
> the Thinkpad 600e including:
> >>alias char-major-116 snd
> >>alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs4232
> >>alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> >>alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> >>alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
> >>alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss
> >>options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
> snd_device_mode=0666
> >>snd_device_gid=0 snd_device_uid=0
> >>alias sound snd-card-cs4236
> >>options snd-card-cs4236 snd_port=0x530
> snd_cport=0x538 snd_mpu_port=-1
> >>snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_irq=5 snd_dma1=1 snd_dma2=0

This is all old and doesn't mean much I'm afraid,
except that it seems to point to snd-cs4232 as our
module.  And the call from IBM for you to specify
cs4236 in sndconfig is another carry over from OSS.

There is also a tool called "alsaconfig" which does a
similar sort of autodetection.  Search for it and give
it a try if you like.  Mandrake has it's own tool
built into Hardrake as well.  Go the the Mandrake
Control Panel and choose "hardware".  You will find
your card in the list and can run the configurator on
it.

In any case, the modules.conf you listed is rather
outdated.  On the system I am at right now (Mandrake
9), the sound portion of modules.conf simply reads:

alias snd-slot-0 snd-rme9652
above snd-rme9652 snd-pcm-oss

...which loads everything nicely for this card.

Let me know how things progress.

Kevin