I'm running a new install of Mandrake 9 (Alsa 0.9.0rc2) on a new hard drive,
on an otherwise old computer.

Using Xine, I play a DVD.  When the DVD drive's light is on, the sound has a
wobble to it.  (This has the odd result that if I play the same section of a
DVD twice, since the data is still cached and nothing is read from the drive,
that section is free of wobble the second time.  And before anyone asks, DMA
is on for the drive.)

What I'm wondering is if there's some kind of conflict between the soundcard
(Shark Predator ISA, PNP, AD1816a based) and the DVD drive when the computer is
trying to access them both at the same time.  Could this be possible?  And if
so, what's the fix?  There's nothing obvious like an IRQ conflict.  Could it
be a problem with Alsa?  (I can't imagine a lot of developers test ISA cards
under these circumstances.)  Would the only solution be to get a PCI
soundcard?  (I'm reluctant to do that, since I occasionally run DOS games.)