Hello, all.  I tried to search the archives for my problem, but couldn't
access them -- connection kept timing out.

I use a SoundBlaster 16(?) PCI sound card.  Until yesterday I ran Gentoo
with kernel 2.4.21 and with ALSA configured for the snd-ens1371 driver.
Everything worked.

Yesterday I decided to upgrade to kernel 2.6.0-test9.  So, I stopped the
alsasound service from coming up at boot and interfering with the kernel,
and compiled Sound cart support as a module, ALSA as a module, RTC timer
support as a module, and "(Creative) Ensoniq AudioPCI 1371/1373" as a
module.

Having restarted, I did "modprobe snd", which worked.  Then I did
"modprobe snd-ens1371" which paused for about 3 seconds and supposedly
loaded.  However, when I viewed dmesg, I got the following:

AC'97 0:0 does not respond - RESET
ENS1371: probe of 0000:00:0c.0 failed with error -6

Viewing /proc/asound/cards showed that the kernel is not aware of any
sound cards.

After I rebooted back into my old kernel and loaded the snd-ens1371
module manually, everything worked again.

So, my question is, what can I do get my sound card, which worked with
ALSA on the 2.4 kernel series, to work on the 2.6 series?  Is it a
problem with ALSA or with the kernel?  (i.e. Where do I file the bug
report, if it's even a bug?)  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Philip