From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Clemens Ladisch
Sent:   Wed 2/18/2004 12:21 AM
To:     Hawkeye Parker
Cc:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: [Alsa-user] emu10k1 midi failing. why?
Hawkeye Parker wrote:
> i'm trying to understand why and how my midi playback capabilities
> are failing under ALSA.  i'm trying to use my soundBlaster Live!
> (EMU10K1) midi synth, but i hear nothing.

> is there any way to tell *what* isn't working?

lsmod tells us the modules are loaded.
"pmidi -l" tells us the MIDI ports are there.

How did you run sfxload?  Does it output any error message?
Did you play to one of the wavetable ports? (The MPU-401 is the
external port.)
Did you unmute and raise the volume of all relevant mixer controls?

Please look into the file /proc/asound/card?/wavetableD? to see if
sfxload worked (it should say something about memory and instruments).
Additionally, some instrument/samples should be locked while playing.

> the "Details" page for this card on the Alsa site states:
>
> - MIDI on SB live drive not working properly.

This relates to the second external MIDI port, not to the wavetable
synthesizer.

HTH
Clemens