Stuart Pook wrote:
> on Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Clemens Ladisch said
> > It is possible to emulate three stereo devices with the dshare plugin,
> > but this works only for applications using ALSA (not OSS), and it
> > isn't documented.  Speak up it you want more info.
>
> Please give more information.  I have a Audiotrak Maya EX7 (USB)
> (8 channels) and would love to use it as 2 (or 3 or 4) stereo devices.

pcm_slave.ex7 {       # this is a slave definition, not a pcm
        pcm "hw:1"
        channels 8
        rate 48000    # (48000 is the default anyway)
}

pcm.ch12 {
        type dshare
        ipc_key 1234321
        slave ex7
        bindings.0 0
        bindings.1 1
}

pcm.ch34 {
        type dshare
        ipc_key 1234321
        slave ex7
        bindings.0 2
        bindings.1 3
}

# ... and so on for 56 and 78

# then wrap it in 'plug' plugins to be able to use other sample rates:

pcm.headphones {
        type plug
        slave.pcm ch12
}

pcm.hifi {
        type plug
        slave.pcm ch56
}

> Please also give a hint on how to enable shared access to these pseudo
> stereo devices.  I would like to be able to pause rather than quit pytone
> (or alsaplayer) before listening to the radio.

Replace all occurences of "dshare" with "dmix".  dshare allows no more
than one client per channel, dmix can mix the data of multiple clients
together.

> How do I increase the buffering (latency) with the EX7?

Try adding period_size and/or buffer_size entries to the slave
definition (both values are in bytes).

HTH
Clemens