Bradee-oh! wrote:
> First question is - is that normal behavior?  It seems that if
> surround51 uses "hw:0,1" and 2 channel stuff uses "hw:0,0", there
> shouldn't be any conflict REGARDLESS of dmix.  What's the deal here?

The CMI chip can be used in two modes (stereo or surround), and there
are two devices (hw:X,0 and hw:x,1) for the two modes, but these
devices still access the same resources, so they cannot be used at the
same time.

> And second question - I know that dmix only supports 2 channels.

dmix supports any number of channels.

> However, is there anyway to split the channels of surround51 into 3 sets
> of 2 channels, dmix each set of 2, then recombine the dmixed channels
> into one virtual 6-channel device?

If all what you want is dmixing 6 channels, try something like the
following:

pcm.dmixs51 {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024