Holger Klawitter wrote:
> I would like to play (and create) MIDI data using my Intel 82801DB
> ICH4 card.

Your hardware does not have a MIDI synthesizer.  You have to use a
software synthesizer like Timidity.

If your motherboard has a gameport, you can use a gameport/MIDI cable
to connect external MIDI devices.

>       aplaymidi -p 72 testing/Old\ Phone.mid
>
> yields no noise.
>
> > aplaymidi -l
>  Port    Client name                      Port name
>  72:0    Virtual Raw MIDI 1-0             VirMIDI 1-0

The virtual ports created by virmidi are there to route MIDI messages
from/to other MIDI devices.

HTH
Clemens