On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 17:37 +0100, "Alexander Carôt" wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> again one question regarding latency :
>
> If my soundcard is configured with 48 kHz, 256 Samples/frame it blocks for
> 2,6 ms.
>
> Are these 2,6 ms valid for input AND output - thus does it take 2,6 ms for
> capturing + 2,6ms for playing back the signal (= 5,2 ms total delay) ?
>
> Thanks in advance

Yes, that's how it works.  There could be up to one period between the
capture and playback interrupts, so your input to output latency is
anywhere from 5.2ms to 7.8ms.  Plus the soundcard ADCs may add up to 1ms
of latency, so if you measured it with a scope it could be as high as
10ms.

If you can get it to work at 128 frames you'll be in good shape, but
that pushes the limits of what the standard kernel can keep up with.

Lee