fons adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 06:39:57PM +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> > > This weekend I installed SL10.0 on my Thinkpad. Everything runs fine
> > > except for USB audio (EDIROL UA-2). I had it working perfectly with
> > > -p 256 -n 3 on SL9.2, but now even -p 1024 gives problems, in two
> > > ways.
> >
> > What are the ALSA versions used by these?
>
> 1.0.9b

You could try 1.0.11rc3, but your problem doesn't seem to be USB
related.

(You could try your internal sound card, just to be sure.)

> > > - Exactly every 40 seconds something happens that triggers
> > > a burst of timeouts in jack.
> >
> > This might be your BIOS going into SMM to check for powersaving stuff.
> > Try enabling or disabling ACPI.
>
> It *is* related to ACPI - starting the kernel with acpi=off
> removes the problem - and of course some desirable features :-(
> This was not required with 9.2,

Slack 9.2 used a 2.4 kernel.  Did that one have your desirable features?

> and I did *days* of live recording with that setup without a single
> incident, so I don't think it's the BIOS.

ACPI specifies how the kernel executes things defined by the BIOS.
I guess the old kernel just didn't have much ACPI support.

Regards,
Clemens