Attila Egri-Nagy wrote:
> What is the current situation regarding edirol ua-1000?

It needs a special driver so that playback data can be synchronized
correctly.  Such a driver has not yet been written.
Ask again in two months.  ;-)

> I found some (year-old) comments that playback does not work. Is it
> still the case?

Yes.  It should be noted that capturing doesn't work either because of a
bug in the EHCI driver, the bugfix for this will be in kernel 2.6.17.

Currently, only the MIDI ports are not known not to work (i.e., nobody
has tested them, but they should work).

HTH
Clemens