I have no sound on my recent installation of Debian etch with alsa-1.0.13.  I
do have sound when I boot off the XP partition.  The sound is on the Intel
motherboard (chipset ICH7).  In the debian-user mailing list, it was recently
stated that the hda-intel driver for alsa-1.0.11 had some problems.  (It
didn't comment on 1.0.13.)  So I thought I'd try to bring up 1.0.14.  To
preserve the Debian package management, I used checkinstall.

1.0.14 isn't available from Debian yet.  So I tried to install alsa-driver,
alsa-lib, and alsa-utils, all the newest versions (1.0.14rc2) from
alsa-project.org.  The first two compiled successfully but gave conflicts
when I tested their installation.

When I ran for alsa-driver

  checkinstall -D make install-modules

I got the following conflict:
  trying to ovewrite `/lib/modules/2.6.18-3-686/modules.isapnpmap, which \
    is also in package linux-image-2.6.18-3-686

When I ran for alsa-lib

  checkinstall -D make install

I got the following conflict:
  trying to ovewrite `/usr/bin/nm`, which is also in package binutils

alsa-utils wouldn't compile because it needs the newer alsa-lib.

I'd appreciate any advice on where to go from here.  I don't know what might
get screwed up if I overwrite modules.isapnpmap or /usr/bin/nm.  I'm also not
even certain that updating alsa would fix the sound problem.  If necessary, I
could just live without sound until 1.0.14 makes it to etch.

Thanks.