I have been struggling for several days trying to set up a 5.1 sound
system on my Myth box using the onboard spdif on my Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
motherboard. The sound system on this board is an Nvidia NForce4 (CK804)
and I suspect that the alsa driver is the source of my problems.
aplay -l gives:

card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK804]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK804
- IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

This would indicate that the spdif is on card 0 device 2 however using
these settings in my asound.conf (which is copied from the mythtv wiki
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#ALSA_Utilities,>

) I could get no output from the spdif connection. After much searching
I found a clue that indicated that the spdif device could actually be
card 0 device 0 and sure enough, with these parameters in my asound.conf
I now have output on spdif  for non-ac3 sources.

However AC3 passthrough does not work and I am wondering if this is also
because of the wrong device being assigned by the driver. Unfortunately
I been unable to find any way to change the device number for spdif to
prove this theory. Does anyone know if there is an option that can be
inserted in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base to force the spdif to be assigned
to device 0. That would probably fix all my problems.

My system is running Debian 2.6.18-4-amd64 and alsa-base Version: 1.0.13-5

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Greg